The Debugging menu contains the core configuration of your School Manager links to the cloud and other devices. Most often, you will use the Debugging menu to add or remove users' access to School Manager. As needed, Linewize Support will direct you to a Debugging page to take actions to troubleshoot your School Manager or Classwize functionality.
- Device Options configures the School Manager device by providing:
- Device ID - the ID for the School Manager device
- Device Key - the School Manager device password used by the appliance to pull configuration from the cloud
- Device Name - the name of the device
- Timezone - the school or district’s time zone - select from the drop-down list.
- Multi-Device Management allows the administrator to:
- Indicate if the device is a parent device by clicking the Is Parent checkbox; or
- Indicate the device is a child device by selecting the right parent device from the drop-down list
- Agent settings allow administrators to enable or disable:
- Browser extension connection reporting
- Browser extension outside the network (disable only)
- Browser for Chromebooks (disabled by default) and can be enabled if you see duplicate events reported from Chromebooks
- Student Auto Enrolment
The Device Updates page provides options for using earlier release or different stages of the general availability releases. If your device is a physical appliance, you will see a number in the Active Version field. If you use a School Manager cloud appliance, the Active Version field will be blank.
- Select the Enabled checkbox to configure automatic updating.
- Select a Branch from the drop-down list (optional).
- Select an Architecture.
- Set the start time and end time for updating window.
- To Manually Update a School Manager Device, select Update.
The Permissions page allows Owner/Global Administrators to assign roles to users in the system.
- We recommend you limit the number of Owner/Global Administrators for your system security to only those who need access.
- You can combine roles to give appropriate access to staff who support a variety of functions.
- You can add users who are not part of your school. If you give a special user temporary access you can keep their email and remove their Roles after they are done. For example, you may do this for a managed service provider who needs access to School Manager admin access only during maintaintenance of a firewall.
Use this list of the School Manager functions by User Role to identify the level of access a user needs.
The Snapshots page provides downloadable copies of your School Manager configuration file (sphirewall.conf). Your Linewize Support team may ask for the file when troubleshooting changes to your system. In addition to automated backups of your configuration file, you can select Take Snapshot to save a manual copy before making changes to your configuration.
Config Audit provides an audit trail of some actions in School Manager. If your school uses Classwize, you can review or rollback Classwize changes in the same list.
- The Show Changes operation displays a record of the changes made in the system.
- The Rollback operation reverts the system to its previous settings.
Use the Rollback operation very carefully or only as directed by Linewize Support. Using a Rollback on a change does not only revert that change, but every subsequent change.
The Diagnostics page provides tools for troubleshooting a School Manager device. If any issue occurs in the system, the details captured in the Diagnostics page will help the Linewize support technician to quickly diagnose a School Manager or Classwize issue.
These tools include:
- Log files
- Core dumps
- Performance Metrics
- Advanced Configuration
- Net Console
School Manager administrators can set alerts when certain events occur or settings are altered in the system, including disconnections/connections, offline, or failure to connect to the device.
You can Manage Alerting to add or remove the email addresses of your staff who maintain network connectivity and network hardware.
Changes to the Diagnostics section can School Manager system offline. Contact Linewize Support for help changing the configurations in the Diagnostics section.