This article is for IT support when managing a School Manager physical appliance.
The On School Manager Network options control the functions available when your users’ devices connect to your on-campus network and your school has a School Manager physical appliance. For cloud-only filtering, refer to the article Off School Manager Network in the Mobile Agent.
A. Filtering Enabled
Applies to devices running Linewize Connect, Connect for Chrome, and Family Zone Connect.
By checking Filtering Enabled in the On School Manager Network section, you can configure a range of useful features to manage the devices and add functionality for your users.
Filtering is always on
When you check Filtering Enabled, you get access to additional functionality to ensure you know which users are connected and to provide more tools in your on-campus classrooms. (Devices running Linewize Connect and Family Zone Connect are child-safe and learning ready, even when you have On School Manager Network filtering unchecked.)
Manage devices while on-campus
After you enable filtering, you can access additional features to manage devices on your physical network.
- Monitor Google Search, Bing, and YouTube content information for Statistics, Cyber Safety, and Advanced Search Reports using MITM (Man In The Middle)
- Require users to sign in to your physical network with their username and password (Authentication > Captive Portal)
- Require users to install and run Linewize Connect on their device before connecting to your network (Configuration > Walled Garden)
- Temporarily disconnect users from the internet when they attempt to access high-risk, blocked content while connected to your physical network (Content Filtering > Quarantine)
Get the best classroom experience
If your school uses Classwize, Filtering Enabled is required to enable Classwize on your physical network and get access to the full suite of Classwize features.
Filter BYO devices while on-campus
As soon as a BYO device connects to your school’s physical network, your school’s filtering rules are active, and the SCP filtering turns off until your user disconnects from your network. In Australia and New Zealand, you can:
- Allow the students in Australia and New Zealand to add their BYO device running Family Zone Connect to their account in SCP (Device Options > Student Auto Enrolment)
- See the students’ device activity in all the same reports as the SCP school-owner
B. MITM Enabled
Applies to devices running Connect for Windows and Connect for macOS. Applies to Linewize Connect for iOS/iPadOS when Web or Full Filtering Mode is active.
Your school leadership may want to provide support to students confronting difficult topics like suicide, substance abuse or violence. When enabled, Linewize Connect devices can decrypt and monitor search terms and YouTube content and maintain logins to school systems.
MITM and Inspected domains can be used to:
- View Bing, Google and YouTube search keywords (Cyber Safety > Search Reports)
- Inspect and monitor YouTube content (Cyber Safety > Video Reports)
- See search and video content risk indicators in reports (Cyber Safety > Red Flags and Cyber Safety > Blocked)
- Get real-time alerts or weekly reports by email for risk indicators (Filtering > Alerts and Reports)
- Limit users’ access to personal Gmail, Google Workspace, Microsoft Azure, or Outlook accounts (Filtering > Content Filtering > Rule > Custom Header)
- Match custom lists of websites to block rules, filtering keywords or limiting logins to personal accounts (Configuration > Object > Pools > Website List)
As needed, you can add Groups (like teachers or school administrators) to MITM Exclude Groups devices running Linewize Connect.
MITM is always on in Connect for Chrome due to how the technology works in browser extensions. Unchecking MITM does not turn off search and video inspection in the Chrome extension.
BYO iOS/iPadOS devices running Family Zone Connect in Filter-only Mode (DNS filtering) do not support MITM.
C. Safe Search for Connect for Chrome
Only applies to the Connect for Chrome running in a browser.
Ensure your users see appropriate search results by installing the Connect for Chrome extension in your users’ browsers. The On School Manager Network configuration for Safe Search applies to Connect for Chrome - Education and BYO laptops running Connect for Chrome - Community.
Connect for Chrome ensures explicit content is omitted from Google search, Bing, and YouTube search results.
Review the Enforcing Safe Search in Connect for Chrome article before making changes to avoid conflicts between Google Workspace and School Manager.
Applies to Linewize Connect, Family Zone Connect, and Connect for Chrome at schools using Classwize on a network with a School Manager physical appliance.
If your school uses Classwize, select the checkbox to give your users access to the full-suite of Classwize features while your students’ and teachers’ devices are connected to your network.
E. DNS Filtering
Applies to devices running Connect for Windows, Connect for macOS, and Linewize Connect for iOS/iPadOS. Applies to BYO iOS/iPadOS devices running Family Zone Connect when Web or Full Filtering Mode is active.
DNS Filtering is located at the bottom of the Mobile Agent page (not shown in the image above). Use this function if the School Manager filtering conflicts with educational software tools like LDAP servers, Student Information Systems (SIS), standardized testing services or classroom management applications.
When Configuring Bypass Domains you can use a root domain or subdomain but cannot use IP addresses. DNS Filtering configuration is applied to users' devices both On School Manager Network and Off School Manager Network.