This article is for IT Support.
Safe Search is a function of Google and Microsoft that omits explicit content from search results in Bing, Google Search, and YouTube Search. You can use School Manager to enable Safe Search on devices running Connect.
Before You Start
- Check if you have Safe Search enabled in your Google Workspace. If your school already uses Google Workspace for Safe Search, duplicating the Safe Search in Google Workspace and School Manager can prevent Safe Search from working.
- Review your list of Content Filtering rules for any existing rules for Google, YouTube, and Bing search engines and keywords.
- Filtering > Safe Search does not apply to Connect for Chrome. (This page is only to protect devices running Linewize SSL connections to a School Manager physical appliance.)
Enabling Safe Search
These steps are used to enforce Safe Search for devices running Connect for Chrome - Education and Connect for Chrome - Community.
- In School Manager, go to Configuration > Mobile Agent.
- If you have a School Manager physical appliance on your network, go to On School Manager Network.
- If you do not have a physical appliance, go to Off School Manager Network.
- Ensure the Filtering Enabled checkbox is enabled.
- Under Safe Search complete one of the following two steps:
- If you use Google Workspace to manage Safe Search for Google Search and YouTube, select only Bing.
- If you do not use Google Workspace to manage Safe Search, select Google, Bing, and/or YouTube.
- (Optional) If you enable YouTube, the default selection is Strict mode, but you can change the mode to fit your users.
- Select Strict mode to block videos, comments, recommendations, and YouTube search results based on School Manager’s filtering categories for the most sensitive viewers.
- Select Moderate mode to allow some topics that may be appropriate for olders students (for example,war history, social issues, or human biology).
- If you have a School Manager physical appliance and want to enforce Safe Search when the users’ devices are outside of school, go to Off School Manager Network and repeat steps 2-4 above.