This is article is intended for IT Administrators.
Using Bypass Domains, IT administrators can allow certain domains to bypass Content Filtering Rules. Some schools have strict block rules but set up bypass domains to prevent blocking specific websites, local servers and other IT infrastructure.
Bypass Domains will work on DNS filtering mode for Connect for Windows, Connect for macOS v3 and Connect iOS for Education.
- Bypass Domains will work on FULL and WEB filtering modes for Connect for macOS v3.
- If you use LDAP Authentication on School Manager and DNS filtering mode on Connect for macOS devices, you must configure a Domain List Object Pool to exclude local school domains to ensure LDAP authentication and local DNS resolution works.
Warning: As of 17/08/2022, Bypass Domains are case sensitive. Enter each domain in the same letter case previously added to the Domain List Object Pool to ensure they work for Connect for macOS devices.
Bypass Domains will not work on FULL and WEB filtering modes for Connect for Windows or the Connect iOS for Education App, please contact Linewize Support United States (844) 723-3932 | Australia 1300 687 052 | New Zealand 0800 445 206 for further assistance.
Configuring Bypass Domains
There are two steps to setting up a Bypass Domain:
- Creating a Domains Object List
- Configuring DNS Filtering
Creating a Domains Object List
- Navigate to Configuration > Object > Pools
- Select Add Pool
- Enter a Pool Name (e.g. Agent DNS Local Domain Lookups)
- Enter a Pool Description
- Select Domains List from the drop-down
- Select Save
- You can Import a CSV with the list of domains or create individual entries by selecting Add Entry
- Enter a Domain Entry, for example, google.com
If using a domain such as google.com, any subdomain or page path will also be bypassed. For example, docs.google.com and google.com/maps will also bypass the Content Filtering Rules.
- Enter a Name
- Enter a Description
- If you are creating individual entries, repeat this process for all your domains
Configuring the DNS Filtering
- Navigate to Configuration > Mobile Agent
- Under the DNS Filtering section, using the Exclude Domains drop-down, select the Object List you made earlier
- Select Save